Immediately following the 2nd World War prosperity was enjoyed to a varying degree by all. During the war the building of Fearn aerodrome and Nigg Camp and the rebuilding of North Sutor fort provided work for many able-bodied men who were beyond the call-up age and this was a welcome break.
Women & girls served in the works’ canteen during the building of the drome until such time as a number of them were called to the services. A workmen’s hut built between Balintore and Hilton to accommodate some of the non-local labour force was left intact after the drome had been built. After the war this canteen was used for a number of years in lieu of a proper hall for dances, whist drives and so on. It was demolished after the Seaboard Memorial Hall was built near by and opened on 30th July 1958.
The beautiful new hall was erected as a memorial to all those who made the supreme sacrifice during two world wars, and it soon became the centre of all social activities in the Seaboard and surrounding areas. Part of the money raised by dances, concerts and other functions was used by the Hall Committee to increase the amenities of the Seaboard, besides maintaining the hall itself. For example, children’s playgrounds have been built at strategic points in Balintore & Hilton, a bowling green in front of the hall and a fine caravan site was made near Shandwick Bay which accommodated many caravans during the summer seasons.
The current Seaboard Memorial Hall was opened in July 2002. After many years of seeking out funding the hall committee secured funding from The National Lottery, RACE, The Highland Council & Scottish Co-op. This new hall is multi-functional and can accomodate almost any type of function, from a game of badminton to a sit down wedding meal for 120 people. The hall committee are continually seeking new ideas and funding options to secure the future of the Seaboard Memorial Hall.